Awkward Glimpse of Arena's Soul

"My comments sound like sour grapes, and it's wrong. As I look at the text of some of the things I've said, I think they're absolutely inappropriate and distasteful."
- Bruce Arena, "chat" with Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl, 09.14.06


For my money, Grant Wahl's late-night conversation with Red Bull New York's Bruce Arena makes for some of the most completely painful reading I've come across in some time. As Wahl points out, Arena is, essentially, apologizing for coming off like an asshole in the pages of the New York Times. As one who has been ever-so-slightly put off by Arena's media-sniping, it's refreshing on one level to see him own up to the tantrums...but, God, couldn't he do this behind closed doors? I dunno. It's not so much that it's horrible or unusual as it's something best not dragged into the public square.

Still, it - that is Wahl's short article - is fascinating from the human angle. I suppose that's why I'm commenting on it. As much as I wish I would rather it wasn't out there, it is. It's not a healthy thing, toying with this kind of thing; it's not unlike watching a drunk uncle come apart at Thanksgiving dinner.

(######)

No comments: