Donovan: On Making Peace with Athletes

“Yes, we all know [Landon Donovan] had a disappointing World Cup. He knows it too, and it's a topic that's been done to death. Better players on better teams, -- how about Ronaldinho and Frank Lampard, for starters -- also had poor showings in Germany. It happens.”
- Brian Straus, USSoccerplayers.com, 09.06.06


That’s part of a larger defense of Landon Donovan as a player and it comes in a well-argued defense of American sporting culture's deep dislike for diving. The rest of the article is certainly worth the read, but it’s the stuff about Donovan that caught my eye.

Along with the rest of the country, I’ve taken my shots at Donovan. I’d like to think I’ve never made it personal (but know I have; whoops - killed the blog (Bunco Parade) that contained all the vitriol) - something he complains about frequently (in here, for example), but accept at this point that’s a bit out of line. And while I believe he’s far enough above the general of Major League Soccer and should, therefore, try his hand (or feet) abroad again, I’ve got the utmost respect for his decision to play at home.

Anyway, here’s to calling a cease-fire on Donovan. The guy is only 24, which leaves ample time to make amends for 2006. But, to be fair, it’s not a little ridiculous to even ask, never mind demand, that he do so. As he’s fond of saying when challenged on his choice of leagues, it is his life to shape or squander and he can choose to be the best soccer player he can be, or he can start pounding Wild Turkey on a daily basis with his fiancee (no kidding?). In the end, it’s not my business.

When all’s said and done, it’s a bit silly to rip someone for stumbling on such a grand stage; in the end, nothing we as fans can say can kick his ass like he can kick his own. On the other hand, it’s entirely fair to argue that he’s not up to the job to which he’s assigned; from there, it’s up to him to rise to that challenge or to leave. But it certainly shouldn’t be anything personal.

So, for what it’s worth, I'm done jumping on Donovan - or any other athlete. He’s just some dude doing what he loves and, to this point, on his terms. We should all be so lucky.

(P.S. I am kicking my ass for erasing all that post-World Cup commentary from the now-defunct Bunco Parade. I sweated for hours over one in particular. Stupid! STUPID!!)

No comments: