Cam in Norway

I won't pretend I know anything about Cam Weaver as a player. For instance, I've never seen him play, in spite of the fact he spent the past year (at least) just up the road from me with the Seattle Sounders.

In any case, ESPN reported this morning that Weaver is headed to Europe at the beckoning of a Norwegian club (FK Haugesund - nope, haven't heard of them). Here's to wishing him all the luck in the world - and, as with Charlie Davies - I hope he can help all of us out down the road. It doesn't hurt he's got a pretty charming life story.

Not to ascribe God-like wisdom to Scandinavians, but it's worth asking what their scouts are seeing that Major League Soccer clubs aren't. How real, or serious, is the poaching?

(#######)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I recall, Cam had a trial for the Columbus Crew this past October/November.

The Manly Ferry said...

Ah....now I remember why I wanted to to retain comments on the soccer-related posts. Thanks for that, Mr. Guldan.

Anonymous said...

I saw him play a few times this year for Seattle. He has a lot of skill and size. MLS really missed on him. That said, going to Norway doesn't mean his career is set to take off. Another Seattle player, Leighton O'Brien, left to play in Sweden for a couple of years with the hopes he could move onto a bigger European stage. It never happened and he is back in Seattle and isn't the player he was before he left.

I wish Weaver the best of luck but in some ways these moves to Scandanavian clubs can be a lateral thing.