Knives Come Out for Adu

The Boston Globe ran an article today by a guy named Steve James, oh whom I had never heard. While it doesn't cover unfamiliar ground - how Freddie Adu's actual talent relates to the hype - the article contains some of the most cutting judgments I've yet seen.

All the barbs break skin, but the LA Times' Grahame Jones is the only one who twists the knife:

"He is a gifted player for his age but nothing special, even within the limited talent field that is MLS. His training with Manchester United was more of a courtesy by Man U toward MLS than an expression of serious interest and from what I hear he did not overly impress."

"Perhaps in time and with the right coaching, he might become a useful journeyman player but at the moment he is quite ordinary."


Oh, SNAP!

I have to confess that I'm not sold on Adu either. And I remain in a holding pattern on the latest great hype, Josmer Altidore. Believe me, I want him to be everything fans expect, but I'm definitely going to wait till he gets there to annoint him.

(########)

No comments: