Beckham...Holy Crap!

So, Bloomberg News, typically a very reliable source, reports that David Beckham will join the Los Angeles Galaxy in August.

As much as I've questioned the value of "Beckham Rule," especially the on-field value, I'd be lying if I didn't confess my jaw remains planted firmly in my lap - and for several reasons. To begin, I'm waiting for a retraction (see below about sourcing).

But, assuming it is true, there's more to mull. First, the figure cited in the Bloomberg report, who is citing Sky Sports as their source: says there he'll receive $250 million over five years. In a(n almost) word: whaaaa?! Beckham's capacity to generate marketing buzz aside, I can't see the LA Galaxy, never mind the league, recouping anything like that through Beckham's presence.

On the upside, with Beckham's salary at that size, I can't see much of an arms race forming within MLS. Speaking frankly, that's crazy "A-Rod" money.

UPDATE: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struck by the salary numbers. Ives Galarcep closed his post on the sale being official - another thing to update I suppose; e.g. that this is now official - with this: "There has been nothing official about how much he's costing but the rumored 5-year, $250 million figure is ridiculous." Whew. I'm really hoping the number is off, because that's nucking futs.

Anyway, that's it off the cuff. All in all, I feel like a kid from the trenchcoat mafia who just got a lip-biting smile from the head cheerleader; oddly excited, but acutely aware of the possibility said excitement will be the end of it. Still, I'm excited in spite of myself.

(#######)

1 comment:

deb said...

It's exciting and yet at once kind of a pity to put that amount of resources into one player, that is one position on one team. That said, if any name could raise the profile of soccer in America, it's David Beckham. (I wonder how Zidane would fare...)

Anyway, I went to an exhibition game last year in Seattle. It was Real Madrid vs DC United. Freddy Adu got some props, but the chant all evening long was "BECKHAM! BECKHAM! BECKHAM!". Funny thing, the fans to a man knew who David Beckham was, and most knew who Freddy Adu was too, but the announcers boofed the player introductions and called Freddy Adu's name a player early. Then when the camera panned to Adu, they had to say his name a second time and then pan back to the guy they'd just introduced as Freddy Adu and find what his name must be. It was hilarious. A perfect moment of what soccer in America is. I suppose I don't do myself any favors in that light in that I can't recall who they guy was whom they mistakenly called Freddy Adu in the first place.