(W)Revs Wrap, 02.07.07: Right Coach for the Owner?

One of the first contributions I've seen from the Boston Herald this preseason, New England Revolution Head Coach Steve Nicol says something that makes me think he's the right coach for a Kraft family operation:

"“We got the core group, and they start to get the stuff done. But if we can bring in a couple (new guys) in at a time, and people start pushing somebody else, and then just keep it flowing, then that’s ideal. I don’t think it’s an ideal situation when you bring tons of new faces in.”


He cites his days playing for Liverpool as an inspiration for this line of thinking...though it's also fair (but only just) to note that his old Liverpool teams managed to actually win a thing or two.

The same article, by the way, contains some good copy on the Revs' mental state going into the 2007 season. Unlike a fair number of fans - including me - the players and staff view the widespread continuity as a plus.

Lazy mug that I am, I didn't look at the Revs' 2007 schedule closely enough to notice that six of their first eight games will be on the road. Hey, waitaminute. That sucks! Then again, it's familiar from previous years, so we may as well get used to it. And, like everyone else, the local media took time to note the dates when Beckham will likely be in town. Happy as I am for all that free interest, another part of me finds it kinda pathetic.

If you want really pathetic, however, ask me what I'll do if the Portland Timbers played a Beckham-packing LA Galaxy in the U.S. Open Cup (NOTE: Given the match dates, Beckham's ETD, not to mention Portland's history in the tournament, this probably can't happen. Still....)

In other news, Frank Dell'Appa wrote a good-sized article on Taylor Twellman's unlucky past with the U.S. Men's team. It contains a lot of interesting numbers and details, many of which are new to me (i.e. it's worth the gander), but it also didn't move me one way or the other on Twellman's fitness for the U.S. team. Because I love Twellman as a player - and he seems a decent sort besides - I'd love to see him make the team and take the trip to South Africa in 2010. But that's kind of a personal thing. I can't really blame people for not seeing him as national-team caliber; he simply hasn't produced. Anyway, here's to hoping he does tonight; that'd do him a world of good.

Finally, file this under "Oh God. He didn't say that," but Revs' defender Jay Heaps dished this whopper to the following whopper to the Boston Globe's Frank Dell'Appa:

"Obviously, for the first couple weeks, it was a tough pill to swallow because I take pride in being able to step up. If I had to do it all over again, I would, but this time I would make it."


Dude. This time doesn't matter. We needed you to "make it" last time.

Anyway, in case Heaps reads this for any reason, I'm just yanking his chain. I have all the respect in the world for his willingness to steps up when called. Still, disastrous quote.

No comments: