Armas over Cobi

If you're following Major League Soccer (MLS) closely enough, you probably know by now that the Chicago Fire's Chris Armas has said that 2007 will be his final season. I've always liked Armas as a player, not least because he's got to be one of the unluckiest s.o.b's on the planet (see: World Cup, 2002, 2006; injury). The way he's handling his retirement only makes me like him more.

As I've said before, I like Cobi fine and respect his contributions to the game, blah, blah, blah. But there's something - I dunno - self-important about announcing one's retirement a year in advance; there's a sense of determining his own significance in this, something like having the bride and groom go with you when you purchase their wedding gift. Then again, with so many people willing to roll with Cobi's plan, it's possible I've got a personal problem.

Anyway, this is more about props for Armas than bagging on Cobi. I read elsewhere that Armas wants to coach. Go get 'em, tiger.

(#######)

No comments: