Landing Beckham Using the Rule - Potholes & Obligations

The San Diego Union-Tribune's Mark Zeigler went that extra little mile once again in reminding folks just how tricky - and, potentially, expensive - bringing David Beckham to Los Angeles might be. The devil plays in the numbers:

"There are several factors to consider, not the least of which is it's gonna get expensive. His annual salary is in the neighborhood of $8 million after taxes, which converts to $10 million-plus before them. He could leave Real Madrid on a free transfer when his contract expires in May, but anyone wanting to lock him up in the January window would have to pay Real Madrid a transfer fee that could push well into eight figures."


Ah, yes, the transfer fee. I mean, good golly, I know all this stuff, but it slips my mind more often than I care to admit. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm reading that to say we won't be seeing David Beckham sporting an LA Galaxy jersey in January. On the other hand, if I were Beckham and I was bored of riding pain in Madrid and generally interested in a comparatively anonymous lifestyle (I think "comparative" is the best he can expect), I'd figure I was already rich, take the pay cut, and go play in LA. Apart from explaining why I'm not rich, it's also fair to admit few people share my views on accumulating wealth.

That's all good and well, but the best part of this article comes with a quote from "superagent" Richard Motzkin:

“Do I think we'll see Beckham next year? I don't know. I'd say it's 50-50. But I would like to think the player for whom the rule is named would have enough appreciation of that fact that it would sway his decision.”


Perhaps after recoiling from the stalking ex-boyfriend desperation contained in that comment, Beckham will mull the move in earnest. ("C'mon, baby! I cut my chest for YOU!!)

(########)

No comments: