Beckham - Saying the Right Thing + Conspiracies

I'll start with the "right thing" bit. This comes from the Yahoo! Sports write-up:

"I didn't want to go out there at 34 years old and for people to turn around and say he's only going there to get the money. It's not what I'm going out there to do. I'm going to hopefully build a club and a team that has a lot of potential. I think that is what excites me."


I have a lot of respect for what he's saying there and hope he's being sincere, at least from the perspective of sentiment and motivation.

Then again, I won't spite him for it if he isn't; there's the money after all. In spite of what I guessed below, it sounds like the salary figure getting tossed around - $250 million over 5 years - is real. That is crrrrrrr-azy!

Now, the conspiracy: does anyone think ESPN received assurances from Major League Soccer that they'd move the friggin' planet to make this trade happen? That would put last summer's TV deal in a whole new light. Put another way, you think they all knew something that we, in our innocent, hopeful belief in the future of soccer on its merits, did not?

Damn....I love conspiracy theories....

No comments: