Becks' Box Office Boost

While I'm sure I'm hours, if not days, too late on this, it is pretty cool to see what David Beckham's arrival in Major League Soccer (MLS) is doing to ticket sales.

But that's not nearly interesting as what Sports Illustrated's Grant "Source King" Wahl report on how the Beckham deal happened. There's the usual stuff about where Beckham's money will come from (a bite of ticket sales, anyone? Jerseys?), but the bit that caught my eye was word that the Galaxy will unveil a new uniform.

As much as tinkering with jerseys is a shabby, cash-grab exercise, I have to admit that the reason they're thinking about changing - OK, obviously, apart from the simple cash in on Beckham - adds up pretty neatly:

"Leiweke predicts the new jerseys will be available in the next two months. What color will they be? 'The last time I checked, when you're looking at a Galaxy it's not green or yellow. It's either black or dark blue,' Leiweke says. Galaxy GM Alexi Lalas is more specific: 'When I think of the Galaxy I think of dark blue.'"


The man does have a point....

(########)

No comments: