Draft Surprises and the Draft So Far

One finds some interesting things while waiting for the draft to come together.

I don't know how long this link will be active - it's to MLS's running Superdraft table - but there's an interesting little blurb a ways down the page: FC Dallas traded Greg Vanney to the Colorado Rapids today, which gave them the 18th pick (which they used to draft Andrew Daniels, who I've never heard of). Any other day and I'm guessing we'd hear something about this. It might not classify as a major trade, but it's not insignificant either...at least I'd be happy if I lived in Colorado.

As for the rest, there are a few surprises for me. Chief among them is the fact that Greg Dalby, whom pundits seemed so high on heading into the Superdraft, went as the 17th pick. Not even the first round...hmmm...

Also, let the record show that Maurice Edu was the Number One Pick for 2007; and, since we're looking at such things, Bakary Soumare went #2 and Michael Harrington at #3. Chris Seitz to Real Salt Lake - the #4 pick overall -surprised me a bit, though I still bet they'll pass him on at a high price to either the Rapids or the Kansas City Wizards.

Other players I care about for reasons I can't fully justify: I'm glad to see Oregon State's Robbie Findley go high as he did - and to the Galaxy as well; if nothing else, the odds are good he can go to the grave saying he trained with David Beckham...oh, and Landon Donovan, of course. I took interest in another player, Ryan Guy, because that Marc Ziegler guy is such a swell reporter; he went to FC Dallas on the 22nd pick (can't find the link...sorry).

Anyway, given my general ignorance of the players, I'll probably spend some time next week trying to figure out how the New England Revolution did this time around, but that will be about it. So far, they picked up a midfielder named Wells Thompson (#4 overall, a spot they earned courtesy of the Dempsey trade) and Amaechi Igwe, who has me a little excited by the looks of his resume; could it be more Stevie Nicol magic? And, whoops, I'm now seeing they picked up another midfielder named Ryan Solle with the 25th pick overall.

So, yeah, more on New England's picks later. All in all, this is good stuff. There's nothing left now but the preseason...and then the real deal. Yippee!

(#######)

No comments: